Emily Chang | Chelsea Moody | Gamesmaster UK April 2012

House of Commons - Transport - Minutes of Evidence

Loading...

Accessibility Email alerts RSS feeds Contact us

Search Home Parliamentary business MPs, Lords & offices About Parliament Get involved Visiting Education House of Commons House of Lords What's on Bills & legislation Committees Publications & records Parliament TV News Topics You are here: Parliament home page > Parliamentary business > Publications and Records > Committee Publications > All Select Committee Publications > Commons Select Committees > Transport > Transport Select Committee on Transport Minutes of Evidence

Supplementary memorandum submitted by the Department for Transport and the Agencies Thank you for your letter of 16 January seeking further clarification on the Department's Memorandum to the Transport Committee of 13 January. As regards your query about paragraph 5.2 the following are examples of issues that were brought to the attention of the DfT board:

— When DSA encountered industrial action in early 2004 the Chief Executive and the DVO Director-General (DG) regularly briefed Ministers on the state of DSA's negotiations with the unions and the impact (potential and actual) of industrial action on customers. Separately, the DG briefed the DfT Board. — When MOT computerisation faced difficulties, the VOSA Chief Executive reported regularly to Ministers, and the DG briefed the DfT Board, on progress and current issues. In such cases briefing is normally through minutes and oral updates. Essentially it is for the DG and relevant Chief Executive to judge whether an issue is "significant". Factors would include both the inherent importance of the issue (as with the two examples above) and its public profile (Ministers need to be able to respond if necessary to Parliamentary or media interest). The aim is to ensure that Ministers and the Board are aware of important developments and emerging major risks or public concerns without being burdened with unnecessary day-to-day operational detail. Follow-up depends on the issue and situation. For example, Ministers may want to discuss face-to-face with the Chief Executive and others, obtain further information etc. I attach a note on DSA's involvement with CIECA (paragraph A1.12). This is at Annex A. Currently there are separate registers of vehicles in Great Britain and Northern Ireland (paragraph A2.3). Vehicle registration and licensing services are provided in Northern Ireland by Driver and Vehicle Licensing Northern Ireland (DVLNI), an Executive Agency of the Department of Environment in Northern Ireland though it is the DfT Minister, through DVLA, that is responsible for the service in Northern Ireland. DVLA is currently working closely with DVLNI on a Project called the "Vehicles Systems Integration Project". The primary objective of this Project is to introduce a single Vehicle Register and a single set of IT systems that will be used to manage all vehicles in Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The services in Northern Ireland will continue to be provided by DVLNI staff, based in Coleraine. The legislation is predominantly the same in Great Britain and Northern Ireland and there are few changes necessary or proposed. The only significant policy change will be the fact that retention certificates (the ability to retain a registration mark following a cherished transfer) will be introduced in Northern Ireland. In addition it should be noted that the MOT rules applicable to PLG vehicles (cars) are different in Northern Ireland and Great Britain. In Northern Ireland a vehicle does not need an MOT test until it is four years old; in Great Britain it is three years. The Project is not attempting to change this. The main operational change is that the process of moving a vehicle between Great Britain and Northern Ireland will be simplified as in future this will be a routine change of address, whereas currently customers have to go through a complex process involving "export" and "import" processing. The current registration mark formats in Northern Ireland and Great Britain will continue to be supported. In addition the integration will provide customers in Northern Ireland with the same extended functionality as customers in Great Britain currently enjoy. In particular EVL (Electronic Vehicle Licensing) will be available. The Project is expecting to complete requirements gathering and submit a full business case to the DVLA Board in September 2006. If approved, the integrated system should be introduced during 2007. For drivers, the Agency's Drivers Re-engineering Project is developing a new integrated UK driver licensing system, which will replace both DVLA and DVLNI Drivers systems. DVLNI is scheduled to come onto this system in 2008. The overall governance of the DVO Modernisation programme (paragraph A2.10) is set out in the Governance Handbook dated October 2005 copies of which have been deposited in the Library of the House. This document refers to the initial One-StopService Delivery Group as the first point at which the different strands of the modernisation programme are brought together. That Group's Terms of Reference are attached at Annex B. Finally, I enclose copies of recent customer surveys conducted by the DVO Group, as follows:

— Operators and Drivers, Fitters and Presenters: Customer Satisfaction Survey 2005. — Learner Drivers and Motorcycle Riders: Customer Satisfaction Survey 2004. 20 January 2006

Annex A DSA' S I NVOLVEMENT IN CIECA DSA actively engages in CIECA, as this gives an opportunity to learn from partner organisations, and to contribute informed advice to European policy makers at a pre-legislative stage. The DSA Director of Policy and E-Assessment is a member of the CIECA Permanent Bureau, the governing council. Technical work is undertaken by an Expert Advisory Group, which comprises senior staff from several Member States. DSA's Chief Driving Examiner is a member. The Chief Driving Examiner is currently chairing a CIECA working group which is taking fonNard CIECA activities responding to the European Road Safety Charter to which CIECA is a signatory. CIECA has recently produced:

— a Quality Manual for introducing quality standards to a driving test organisation; — harmonisation of the assessment criteria for driving test candidates; and — quality requirements for practical test examiners. DSA also frequently contributes information and technical staff to assisting CIECA research. Recent projects have looked at post-test training, the extent to which tests are harmonised across the EU, current practice concerning medical fitness to drive, and car driving instructor standards. We know that there is considerable international interest in our computer-based assessments, particularly the-way that we have extended objective testing from knowledge and understanding to performance with the introduction of a moving-image hazard perception testing. DSA has been asked to make presentations at international gatherings of test publishers, sponsors and psychometricians such as the Association of Test Publishers and the Performance Testing Council. The Commission has indicated that our theory test provides other Member States with a benchmark to which they should aspire. The German authorities are undertaking a root-and-branch review of their theory testing arrangements—their content, the type of test items used, and the delivery platforms. The Germans have expressed interest is closer cooperation. A two-day workshop has been arranged here on 27 and 28 February to enable them to learn from GB experience, understand GB practice, and explore potential collaboration on developments. We understand that the Netherlands are also considering developing their theory test using computer technology and moving-image test items.

Annex B CUSTOMER STRATEGY—ONE-STOP-SERVICE DELIVERY GROUP The main purpose of the CS OSS Delivery Group (CS OSS Group) is to lead the development and implementation of the Customer Strategy—One-Stop-Service, and to monitor delivery against the routemaps for the Consumer and Commercial customers' programmes. The OSS strategy will be delivered through eight key enabling strategies (channels and IT infrastructure):

— Web Portals (Directgov and TransportOffice). — Contact Centres (two site consolidation and Contact Centre Strategy). — Intermediaries (how can we maximise e-take up through others, help with diversity etc). — Physical Channels (what transactions still need to be done face to face). — Channel Shift (to web and IVR channels). — Databases (including single view of the customer). — Data Partners (can we develop our commercial channels to include Police etc). — ICT (in particular the dependencies and cross-working across the IT suppliers). As set out below, the "Core Group" will be expanded to consider progress made on each of these enabling strategies. The outcomes of the CS OSS Group will be to:

— develop the OSS strategy and ensure it complements the other DVO strategies on Compliance and Value for Money; — monitor delivery against the Customer Routemaps (Consumer and Commercial); — identify risks and reduce/remove any potential barriers to change; — support the Customer Directors, supplying expertise as demand arises; and — communicate progress across the DVO Group. It will also act as the forum for agreeing all OSS related papers and presentations that come forward to the DVO Board.

CUSTOMER STRATEGY—ONE-STOP-SERVICE CORE GROUP (meetings monthly) Standard agenda items:

— progress reports from each of the Customer directors on delivery against the routemaps, covering any problems identified (in particular any cross-cutting issues) and adjustments required; — any new developments in customer research (impact of changing customer experience taken from the latest research on the OSS strategy); — recommendations to the DVO Board for changes to the Heads of Agreement (OSS strategy—the Vision); — risks to delivery of the Corporate Plan objectives (key deliverables); — communications to the wider OSS Group ("Newport" key stakeholders); and — review of progress on the specific enabling strategies, as set out below. The CS OSS Core Group comprises:

Jonathan Moor (Chair, Director of Strategy and Resources) Richard Verge (Strategic Projects Director) Noel Shanahan (Consumer Director) Jeremy Rolstone (Commercial Director) Gordon Court (DSA services) Christine Keogh (OSS Programme Manager) Guy Slaney (Secretary) The members of the Group may invite other attendees as appropriate.

WEB PORTALS STRATEGY GROUP (meetings three times a year) The purpose of the Web Portals Strategy Group will be to provide strategic direction to the development of the commercial and consumer portals. It will set the standards for the overall design, development and implementation of the commercial and consumer customer portals. Its decisions will be based on standards agreed in the OSS Heads of Agreement, DVO ICT strategy and channel strategy, and the products of projects contributing to the One-Stop-Service vision for example the plain language project. It will oversee the development of the portals and their alignment with wider Government e-initiatives. Objectives:

— to provide strategic leadership for the development of the two DVO portals; — to give direction to the development of the portals within the wider Government framework of e-enabling; — to give direction to the migration of the information content of the DVLA, DSA, VOSA and VCA (relevant sections) websites to the portals and migration to new URLs; — to provide a common user experience across the two portals, within the constraints of two "portal hosts"—Business Link and Directgov; — to oversee the cost effective development of the portals, by ensuring that best use is made of recyclables, minimising any duplication of effort across the project teams; — to oversee the communications and publicity strategies to ensure a similar approach and use of common key messages, as appropriate. For these meeting the Core Group will be expanded to include:

Geraldine Terry (NED) David Murphy (DfT) Azhar Butt (Business Link) Richard Bond (eGU—Directgov) Nick Illsley (Transport Direct) Paul Lopez (DVLA). CONTACT CENTRES STRATEGY GROUP (meetings three times a year) The Contact Centre Strategy Group is one of the key enabling frameworks for the Group's OSS strategy and is a key deliverable in the Group's Value-for-Money strategy. Three times a year the CS OSS Core Group will be expanded to consider the contact centre/telephone channel strategy. The purpose of the Contact Centres Group will be to:

— provide strategic direction to the development of the Group's contact centres and the operation of its telephone channels; — give guidance on decisions and principles agreed by the DVO Board; — oversee the development of the contact centre strategy with wider Government e-initiatives; — keep the status of the Shared Virtual Contact Centre strategy under review; Objectives:

— to give direction to the development of the Group's contact centres within the wider Government framework of e-enabling; — to give direction to the integration of the Group's contact centres onto the Swansea and Newcastle sites; — to give direction to the development of a knowledge base project to facilitate the work of both the Swansea and Newcastle sites; — to provide a common user experience across the two contact centres; — to help integrate the actions required from the Channel Shift strategy with the strategic development of the Group's contact centres; — to oversee the communications and publicity strategies to ensure a similar approach and use of common key messages, as appropriate. For these meeting the Core Group will be expanded to include:

Liz Bertoya (NED) Brian Gilhooey (Contact Centre Strategy—lead) Becky Thomas (VOSA) Franz Malessa (VOSA) Brian Gilhooley will take the lead on monitoring the deliver of the Contact Centre Strategy and so will be responsible for both papers to the Group and for ensuring that regular meetings are held between the operational teams at DSA, DVLA and VOSA responsible for consolidation. For the two consolidation projects, Brian Gilhooley will be SRO on the consolidation of all DSA activities onto the Newcastle site and Noel Shanahan will be SRO on the consolidation of all DVLA activities onto the Swansea site. The Customer Directors will be responsible for integrating the Contact centre strategy into the wider objectives of the OSS strategy.

FACE TO FACE ESTATES STRATEGY GROUP (meetings three times a year) The DVO board endorsed the DVO Face to Face (F2F) estate accessibility criteria in April 2005 and agreed that further work was required to initiate the delivery of an estate reduction programme and to expand the scope of the accessibility criteria. The purpose of the F2F Estates Group will be to:

— provide strategic direction to the transformation of DVO F2F outlets; — take decisions based on principles agreed by the DVO Board; — oversee the proposals from the Estates Transformation Project with the DVO Estates Framework and with wider Government estate-based initiatives. Objectives:

— to provide strategic leadership to the Estate Management Group on F2F locations; — to provide challenge on the nature of proposed estate changes; — to give direction to the Estates Transformation Project and subsequent implementation phase; — to help integrate the actions required from the Channel Shift strategy with the strategic optimisation of the DVO F2F network; — to oversee the communications strategies relating to Estate Changes to ensure appropriate levels of consultation and engagement are achieved. For these meeting the Core Group will be expanded to include:

David Liebling (NED) Jonathan Savill (DVO Business Design Team) Alastair Farwell (DVO Business Design Team) Sara Golledge (consultant) Brian Gilhooley (DSA Operations Director) Alistair Peoples (VOSA Operations Director) David Hancock (DVLA Local Operations Director). OTHER ENABLING STRATEGY REVIEWS (meetings twice a year) The CS OSS Delivery Group will also monitor progress made on implementing the other enabling strategies at least twice a year:

1Intermediaries

Noel Shanahan (lead)

2.Data Partners

Noel Shanahan/Graham Pritchard

3.Channel Shift

Franco Degan

4.Databases

Sarah Norton

5.ICT/Supplier Issues

Sarah Norton

—Supplier Issues To review and consider any supply issues arising and to discuss potential dependencies. The attendee list will be expanded to include:

Jacqui Warren (IBM) Simon Rew (IBM) Shaun King (Capita) David Dick (ATOS) RELATED DVO STRATEGIES (meetings once a year) — Policy/Compliance Strategy To review and consider the overlaps and dependencies between the OSS strategy and the Policy/Compliance Strategy. The attendee list will be expanded to include:

Helen Morris (DVO Policy Director) Other policy leads as needed — VfM Strategy To review the issues relating to channel shift in relation to the VfM Plan and the deliver of the eGU Service Delivery Plans. The attendee list will be expanded to include:

Leslie Gilbert Jim Milner (VfM) — Corporate Plan The attendee list will be expanded to include:

Marian Duncan.









© Parliamentary copyright 2006

A-Z index Glossary Contact us Freedom of Information Jobs Using this website Copyright





Prepared 27 July 2006

Loading...

House of Commons - Transport - Minutes of Evidence

Accessibility Email alerts RSS feeds Contact us Search Home Parliamentary business MPs, Lords & offices About Parliament Get involved Visiting Educa...

89KB Sizes 2 Downloads 15 Views

Recommend Documents

House of Commons - Transport - Minutes of Evidence
Q365 Chairman: You think that auxiliary coastguards should be promoted, rather than that you should deal with the proble

House of Commons - Science and Technology - Minutes of Evidence
MRC have been and gone, so I do not know what they said, but I am very supportive of their vision of co-locating medical

House Of Commons | BALL | italia.jantung.us
Di banyak negara, majelis ini seringkali memiliki kekuasaan yang besar karena adanya batasan terhadap kekuasaan Majelis

Statement of Financial Position - House of Commons
Aug 8, 2017 - The accompanying notes form an integral part of these Financial Statements. 6 ... Liabilities. Accounts pa

minutes of evidence - ui:insert name="pageTitle"
I ha\'e every reason to believe not to any great extent. In what way have they generally disposed of it? For very trifli

House of Commons - Treasury - Tenth Report
May 7, 2008 - the Bank's experience and staffing relating to financial stability;; the scope and timing of legislation r

House of Commons - Scottish Affairs Committee: Supplementary
The Crown Estate issues are a stalking horse…or sop…to give some, but not all, more power. 6. The participants appea

Audit of the Financial Statements 2010-2011 - House of Commons
The accompanying notes form an integral part of these Financial Statements. STATEMENT ... $33,554. $33,656. LIABILITIES.

Evidence Service - Transport Accident Commission
Following traumatic events, psychological distress is common.1 Traumatised people can experience emotional upset, increa

Evidence of endometrial amino acid metabolism and transport
Open Access. Evidence of endometrial amino acid metabolism and transport modulation by peri-ovulatory endocrine profiles